Timing Note: If serving warm, time the sweet potato to finish roasting at the end of salad assembly.
– – –
Sweet Potato, Leek and Farro
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook the Farro: In a large saucepan, cook the farro per the packaging instructions until the farro is tender and chewy. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Drain off any excess water and return the farro to the pot, cover to keep warm. Set aside.
- Roast the Sweet Potato and Leek: In a large bowl, combine sweet potato, leek, olive oil, salt and pepper and toss until coated. Arrange potatoes and leeks in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (tossing halfway through for even roasting) until the potatoes are fork tender and the leeks are lightly browned. (The leeks tend to roast faster than the sweet potato so keep a close eye on them.)
- For crispier potatoes, remove the leeks once roasted and return the potatoes to the oven for an additional 3 to 6 minutes or until they are crispy and browned. Set aside and let cool slightly before adding to the salad.
- While the sweet potato and leek is roasting, prepare the dressing and assemble the salad.
- To Make the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, mango chutney and curry powder. Place the bowl of dressing in the refrigerator until needed.
- To Assemble the Salad: In a large bowl, combine the arugula, farro, red onion, raisins, pecans, roasted sweet potatoes and leeks, and gently toss until combined. Next, pour the prepared dressing over the salad and toss again until evenly coated. Serve immediately.
- To Make in Advance / To Store: For best results, keep the arugula and dressing separate from the other ingredients. Toss to combine just before serving. However, you can refrigerate leftover salad that has already been dressed but I have found the dressing flavor weakens a bit and the arugula wilts. Enjoy by the next day.